1908 - 1917
The first place of worship was in a small house on Northwest 4th Avenue in Modello, Florida. The first sanctuary was erected on Northwest Fourth Avenue from lumber recovered from the Atlantic Ocean Front, now known as Dania Beach.
In the early 1900’s, Saint Ruth housed the first Colored Public School in Modello, which enrolled nine students.
The first Pastor of Saint Ruth was the late Rev. Watson. Sister Mary Chambers, spouse of Brother Charlie Chambers, was appointed as St. Ruth’s first “Church Mother.”
The late Reverend Diver and Reverend Green succeeded the pastorate of the late Rev. Watson. In 1917, the late Reverend J. C, McCord was called as pastor.
1920 - 1947
Through God’s blessings and the diligent efforts of the members, the church was rebuilt.
Reverend Tanner, Reverend G.W. Butler, Reverend L.W. Wright served as pastor during the years of 1939-1947.
1948 - 1999
After Reverend Edcar’s 44 years of dedicated services and his innovative ideas, he retired on August 5, 1992. His legacy lives on in the hearts and minds of those who know and love him. After the retirement of Pastor Edcar, Deacon James Spencer, Chairman of the Deacon Board, along with the deacons took over the leadership of the church.
On August 11, 1993, the church family called the Reverend Randall Wayne Barr as Pastor of Saint Ruth Missionary Baptist Church.
The Saint Ruth Church Family mourned the loss of their beloved former Pastor, Reverend W. C. Edcar, who was called home to the Lord in July of 1998.
On July 1, 1999, Reverend Randall W. Barr resigned as Pastor. December of 1999, Reverend Barr was re-elected as Pastor of Saint Ruth.
In October 2001, Rev. Randall Barr resigned once again. Reverend Randall W. Barr served as Pastor of Saint Ruth Missionary Baptist Church for 8 years.
2001 - Present Day
On October 2001 the church voted for Reverend Marlon G. Ritter, Sr. to be the Interim Pastor of Saint Ruth.
July 19, 2003, Saint Ruth Missionary Baptist Church elected Reverend Timothy T. Shellman, Sr. as the 10th Pastor of Saint Ruth Missionary Baptist Church. Reverend Shellman served until December 2008.
On December 14, 2008, during a church business meeting, Deacon’s Ministry Chair, Tom Grace announced that Bishop Victor T. Curry was willing to assist St. Ruth in their time of need. During this meeting, Bishop Victor T. Curry became the interim pastor of Saint Ruth MBC. On February 5, 2009 at a church business meeting, the church voted to elect Bishop Victor T. Curry as permanent Pastor of St. Ruth Missionary Baptist Church, becoming Saint Ruth’s 11th Pastor.
On April 1st and April 2nd Bishop Curry was officially installed as Pastor of St. Ruth. From that day forth, St. Ruth has been on the rise. With Vision Day, multiple conferences/ workshops, our Wednesday community feeding program, renovations and system upgrades. Bishop Curry resigned as Senior Pastor on Sunday, January 5, 2015.
Our 12th Pastor, Rev. J.C. Howard was called on Saturday, February 13, 2016. He preached his first sermon “A Season of Discovery’” as Pastor of St. Ruth on Sunday, March 6, 2016. Pastor Howard is an energetic, anointed, powerful preacher who is committed to our Church as well as promoting and ministering to the social and spiritual needs of our community.
Our 13th Pastor, Bishop G Emerson Scott was called on Saturday, August 24, 2019. He preached his first sermon “The Grace to Begin Again’” as Pastor of St. Ruth on Sunday, September 1, 2019. Bishop Scott is anointed, a teacher of the word, a powerful speaker and a tremendous organizer of house of worships. He is committed to our Church as well as promoting and ministering to the social and spiritual needs of our community.
St. Ruth is listed in the state’s historical registry. It is quite evident that St. Ruth’s rich history is an undeniable testament of 113 years of service to the community.